Monday, November 17, 2008

Green Goo

This evening, Miss B and I ran a little science experiment - she fondly calls it Green Goo. I kinda think of it as Green Volcano - but hey, whatever you call it - its COOL.

We've done this experiment with kids' tours at work a gagillion times - its fool proof (I'm living proof) and there has never been a kid yet that didn't think it was COOL.

The ingredients for our little experiment were:

Vinegar (our acid) - mixed with yellow food coloring
Baking soda (our base) - dissolved in water (a supersaturated solution) - mixed with blue food coloring
A few drops of dish soap
Interested kid


When the vinegar and baking soda are mixed, they form carbon dioxide. The gas created lots of little bubbles that quickly filled the glass and overflowed and spilled down the sides. The soap gives the bubbles a little structure. The yellow and blue food coloring mix and turn the bubbles green (color science too - damn, I'm good).

Miss B was thrilled - and there was very little mess. Like I said already - its COOL.


(I recently purchased a a better video camera, but for a variety of reasons, I had to shoot this on my 6 year old Sony cybershot. My apologies for the horrible quality. We'll do a better quality job next time)

I'm super sensitive to loud noises - so this one is not for me.

But give it a try if a Bubble Bomb is what you're after

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a fun project and she doesn't even know she is learning!! I love B's haircut!!