Thursday, July 17, 2008

Dispactches From Brazil - Thursday July 17, 2008; 21:30

Well, I've had a rotten day and an even worse evening - work ,and all the BS that goes alone with it, can really take the joy out of life.

But I did promise to post about the brush fires - so here goes.


My colleague and I arrived on Sunday morning, I quickly took to my bed for a nap. An hour or two later, I wake too the sound of the telephone; my colleague tells me there is a brush fire just on the other side of a wall that separates a field from the hotel and parking lot. He tells me that the fire is growing, and I should prepare. I'm thinking prepare means put on some clothes and resume napping. So I reply in a sleepy voice 'I must nap now" and hang up - I make no preparations whatsoever.



Later, I find out that my colleague called the front desk, 20 minutes later two bell men went out, stood by the wall, and then casually walked back into the hotel. More than 30 minutes later (a full hour after I received the call about the fire) the fire department shows up. Do they run a hose and spray the fire out - NO! They use sticks with wet rags tied to the end to beat the fire out - I'm serious.

Today, and each day, we have seen fires just about everywhere:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you better get your butt home p.d.q.

schue said...

there's a brazillian steak house in philly on the parkway, i dont know the name of it...its not fogo de chao, although i wouldn't be opposed to going there too. We should do a girls night! I hope you get some good pics in brazil!