Monday, July 28, 2008

Special Agent Richard P Horan

I started this post about 1.5 months ago, but as usual, I’m a day late and a dollar short (or in this case a few days late).

On July 26, 2008 the FBI celebrated its 100th anniversary. You can go to the FBI site for a history of the bureau and interesting summaries of some of their more famous cases. I’d like to know about Special Agent Richard P Horan; he was my grandfather Leo’s youngest brother and my mother’s uncle


On April 18, 1957, Special Agent Richard P. Horan was killed in Suffield, Connecticut, by Francis Kolakowski, a fugitive wanted for unlawful flight to avoid prosecution for the murder of his wife. He was also being sought in connection with a $66,573 payroll robbery, which took place on April 11, 1957, in Windsor, Connecticut. The FBI learned that Kolakowski was at his sister's home. While other officers searched the adjacent field and covered the entrances, SA Horan and a small group entered the home by forcing the basement hatchway at the rear. Kolakowski shot and killed SA Horan as the Agent began climbing the stairs to the floor above. Before officers could reach him, the fugitive killed himself.


SA Horan was born in Hartford, Connecticut, in April of 1922. He attended Western State College of Colorado at Gunnison, Colorado, for a couple of years before returning to Hartford to complete his Bachelor of Arts Degree at Trinity College. In 1948, SA Horan entered on duty as a Special Agent of the FBI and transferred to the Hartford Resident Agency.



As the years pass, its funny how some details stick in our memories. My mom was 17 when her uncle was killed - she recalls it was Holy Thursday, because he was born on Holy Thursday.

My second cousin Brien recalls he was “a couple of months shy of age 4 when Uncle Dick died. ... One thing I do know for sure is that this tragedy destroyed the life of your great-grandmother, who lived on for almost 7 more years but was a wreck and very unhappy. For a mother at age 73 to lose her youngest son in this way ... and especially somebody who was so full of life and promise and so well educated, was an unbearable tragedy.

So, if you find yourself on the Richard P. Horan Memorial Highway (I-91 from Hartford to the Massachusetts state line), you’ll know who it was named after and why.




I found this little snippet, but was unable to get the whole article – (if you know anyone who hangs out in libraries in Windsor Connecticut, ask them to search for this story and send me a copy?)

By FRAN WENOGRAD
IT was like a story in a detective magazine: A lone armed bandit made off with more than $60,000 in payroll funds from an armored car in 1957. Two weeks later, the suspected robber, Francis Kolakowski, committed suicide after allegedly killing an F.B.I. agent, Richard P. Horan, in a police stakeout at the home of the suspect's sister in Suffield. And now, 24 years later, what is believed to be the payroll money has been found buried in a wooded area near a major highway.
November 8, 1981

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a heart-felt post Buns. Thanks! I rememebr Gramps speaking about his brother and how proud he was of him.

Anonymous said...

Oh Kel, I really wish Grandpa could read this tribute to his youngest brother.Will you send the link to Brien?
Love.........

AOP said...

Nice job, tweety!

Lisa said...

You know, my friend Sandi over at A Widow for One Year) is a librarian ... so she may have a good idea of how to get the rest of the story. I'll ask her to check out your post and see if she has any ideas. ......babs

Anonymous said...

Uncle Dick was my goddather, my aunt Helen (ne Callahan) was his wife and my cousin Richard is his son.My cousin Richard is now married and living outside of Boston with four children of his own.
I and my brothers grew up with my cousin Richard in (Parkville)Hartford.
We spent a lot of time with him and my Aunt along with the family. My mother (ne Callahan) who went to school with Uncle Dick has numerous funny stories about him.
uncle Dick was a man with a great vision and had a lot of energy he was into real estate and was looking forward to building a new house on Terry Rd when his life was cut short a day before his 34th birthday.

SGM said...

Kevin
Thanks for posting a comment.
My grandfather Leo knew all the connections with the family - I wish he was still around, he's get such a kick out of knowing that you found the blog post on the web.
Happy St Patrick's Day.

SGM said...

BTW - feel free to share a story about Uncle Dick. My sister and brothers didn't get to hear many other than the story of how he died.

K

Anonymous said...

When Uncle Dick got his licence to drive he would come to my Grandmother Callahan's house on Madison Ave. in Parkville to take my Aunt Helen (his sweetheart) and my Nana (late like around 10pm) out for a rides he had a car with a rumble seat in the back that's where my Nana liked to ride-anyhow he would drive out to Mountain Rd in West Hartford now this was around 1939--can you imagine West Hartford was nothing but farm land then hardly any houses at all more cows then there were people actually and there weren't very many street lights either and Mountain Road was very hilly (it has been really pretty much flatten in later years)
He would drive like "hell" up and down that road and my Aunt Helen and Uncle Dick would just love it but not as much as my Nana-- he was very kind and considerate towards her and she loved him like a son as well---then they would go to a diner that is now Cocoa's restaurant on Farmington Ave in West Hartford Center and have a coke and sandwiches and He and Aunt Helen would dance to the juke box and my Nana would sit there so envious because she loved to dance as well but wouldn't dance in public with anyone-(they, Uncle Dick and my Nana, did dance in her front parlour on Madison Ave on occassion but my grandfather was none too happy about it he couldn't dance and I think he just acted that way to get his way-)times were different then they are today--
He was a nice fellow and he was very generous and fun loving.

Steve Kelly said...

My Dad was SA John Kelly who was a close friend and colleague of Richard Horan. My Dad was 11 years older and also born in Hartford and also a Trinity College graduate. I always thought he thought of Dick as the younger brother he never had. I remember when I was 9 or 10 years old, Dick coming to our house in Old Wethersfield and meeting him. I know it was 55 years ago but I always remembered meeting this young hotshot guy who was driving I think a red Ford convertible. I remember the horrible day my Dad came home from being up in Suffield to tell us the news. He was the first person I knew that died and it took so much out of my Dad and all of us. I remeber my Dad taking me on the train to New York City to a place where they were sculpting a bronze memorial of Dick. He took me to my first major league baseball game that day between the Detroit tigers and New York Yankees. It was a very sad day. Just wanted you to know that it just isn't your family that remembers Dick and the mark he made in life. I guess my parents thought I was too young to go to funeral and I never met any of Dick's relatives or wife or son, so my belated condolences to all of you.
----------Steve Kelly

Anonymous said...

I am a Special Agent of the FBI who resides nearby Suffield, and wondered if anyone knows the address where SA Horan, an American hero, gave his life in the performance of his duty. I would like to leave something nearby that site on the anniversary of his tragic passing.

Anonymous said...

Hi - First off - great article about your Uncle! My name is Marybeth Miklos and I work for the FBI in New Haven. Would love to talk to you about your Uncle, as we are trying to update our "Wall of Honor". I can be reached at 203.777.6311

Thanks!

Dave Kelly said...

I am SA John Kelly's other son who although only six years old when Dick died I can still remember that sad day.There is a stretch of I-91 in Windsor dedicated to Richard P Horan. I am going to write to Sen Tony Guerrera, Chairman of the Transportation Committee, and request the sign be amended to read Special Agent Richard P. Horan . I spoke to a Windsor police officer who had no idea that Richard Horan was a law enforcement officer killed in an ambush.

Dave said...

To SGM and others

I recently found some snapshots from 1951 of Dick Horan at a FBI dinner in New Havenand an outing in Wallingford. I'd be happy to share them with his admirers.
Dave Kelly
dpkelly36@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Dick Horan was the only man my father was jealous of, according to my mother. He was her most serious relationship prior to her meeting my dad. She was Barbara Foley from Bangor, Maine. They met in Hartford in 1943.

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr Kelly,
Dick Horan was my father. I just have run across this site today, and if you have any photos I'd love to see them. My father died when I was about two and a half. I have a couple of memories which are quite positive, but it is good to see or hear more. Thanks in advance!
Sincerely,
Rick Horan
R.f.horan@gmail.com