Monday, July 14, 2008

Dispatches From Brazil - Monday July 14; 23:30

Is gluttony still a deadly sin?

If so - I'magonna die.

Even if its not, I think I'magonna die any way from eating so much.


We went to Villa's Churrascaria tonight.

What is a churrascaria you ask?

"Churrascaria literally means "barbeque" in Portuguese. This style of cooking was developed in South Brazil. Tantalizing cuts of beef, chicken, pork and fish would be seasoned and barbecued on skewers over open fire pits by the ranchers, who were known as gauchos. They then carried the freshly cooked meats to the tables, and sliced juicy portions off the skewers on the plates. Each was free to choose from any or all of the meats.
In time, restaurants were opened offering the same style of food. The concept caught on quickly, and has now become a permanent fixture of Brazil."

"“Churrascaria” concept has been strongly influenced by the traditional Brazilian custom of cooking various cuts of seasoned meat and seafood over an open fire. Churrascarias features huge skewers of your flame grilled favourites including: beef, calamari, chicken, lamb, swordfish & pork. The chef puts the portions of meats and seafood onto our giant skewers and brushes various marinades on as it's cooking over the flame. Once cooked to perfection, our knife wielding ‘passadors’ bring the skewer to you and carve it right at your table until you say “no more!” The meats & seafood are complimented by grilled seasonal vegetables along with chef’s selection of condiments. On your table you will find a card (the size of a coaster). Keep it turned to 'green' and our passadors will know to keep coming around with food. When you've had enough or need a rest, simply flip it over to the red side"

As the image above shows, they serve meats from all over the darn cow.
To put it simply, I ate my way around a cow tonight.


I went to a churrascaria the last time I was in Brazil, but somehow I don't remember being so stuffed.

FYI - Philly has one of these restaurants in CC now. Y'all better work out for a week before and after.

all for now

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh you have made me very hungry! It sounds sooo good! Will you take to CC when I come for a visit? What is the temp there?

Lisa said...

I've been wanting to go to Fogo de Chao in Philly ..... now we definitely have to go together.

How long you in Brazil? Sounds like fun!!!

.....babs

Lisa said...

And Rara, when are you visiting? Soon, I hope. ... babs