Thursday, July 10, 2008

I Kissed A Girl - And I liked It!

(Relax! mom - this is not a coming out post. Trust me, if ever I had a need to come out of a closet, I would save something like that for a big family/public event - you know, to get full impact)

This post could easily have been titled: Why I will Never Turn The Radio On Again When The Kids Are In The Car

The other day, I picked the kids up from camp and was absentmindedly singing to the radio as I drove home. At some point, it occurred to me what song I was singing; it also occurred to me that the kids were singing it too. There we were, the three of us, singing "I kissed a girl and I liked it! The taste of her cherry chap stick" .... for full visual effect, you have to image that all three of us were also car dancing as we sang it (Bridget likes to give every song "moves").

O.k., so I slam on my mental breaks, and turn the radio off. Then the kids want to know why. I tell them that the song lyrics were a tad inappropriate. To which I am asked "Why?". Before I can answer, Sean tells Bridget that she cannot kiss a girl "Girls don't kiss girls. That's why." he said. To which she replies "No! Sean. YOU cannot kiss a boy; but I can kiss a girl".
The Sean starts with the "why can she kiss a girl and I can't kiss a boy?" crap.

OHMIGOD!

So now I sound like Foghorn Leghorn - Well ya see son, its like this......

As you know, I've seen every combination of boy:girl, boy:boy, girl:girl action there is (please note: I wrote "seen", not "done"); I could give two hoots about who kisses or does who - BUT I DO NOT WANT TO EXPLAIN IT TO TWO SIX YEAR OLDS WHILE DRIVING HOME IN RUSH HOUR ON A TUESDAY!

O.k., lesson learned - have a distraction/diffusion/reply for the boy on boy, girl on girl questions that will eventually come up... and keep the radio turned off.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

it was only a matter of time, gee! this is just the beginning. hahaha ... babs

schue said...

Uh oh - you better just tune into Radio Disney.

Anonymous said...

Oh boy, I would have loved to have been a "fly on the wall" for that ride ! just wait, the birds and the bees are just around the corner...